Kiteboarding at Nin

It was forecast to be yet a another hot day, hottest so far; so why not spend it on the water ? Part of the reason we came to Zadar is so that I could visit Zadar and go kiteboarding at Nin. I did not take my kite gear, as over the period of 7 weeks I’d get 1 perhaps 2 days of kiteboarding. At Nin I found out that there was a kiteboarding school and a there was a possible opportunity to hire gear.
The town of Nin has a probably the only real sandy beach in Croatia (that I could find anyway). The rest are pebbly – terrorists to kites and tender feet.  It is also interesting for its mediaeval artefacts, though that part held little interest for me as I’d already been “mediaevalled” out with Montenegro and Dubrovnik. It’s a hot day, let’s have fun.

It seems that the rest of Croatia had the same idea as we did. The beach was lined with people and their accessories.
We were lucky enough to hire the last umbrella and banana lounge from a vendor. Get in early !
Far out !  Where can you possibly kite here ?  The beach is crowded, and people can wade out a fair way, as well there are paddle boats and other vessels.
Luckily though, after a bit of questioning we found that if we walked to the end of the beach there is a water sports area. Two companies were there looking after my favoured sport of kiteboarding. I had found great affinity with the owner of one, a person of South African nationality with good nature.
The wind wasn’t great, you might say non-existent, but with a 19m kite and large board I managed to have some fun and executed a couple of jumps.
The vendor was generous with his one hour hire, encouraging me to go back out every time I came to shore for return.
After all that kiting we enjoyed a drink and a good lunch at the cafe/bar near the beach. Nin, a great day on the beach.

Blog Indexes:


Comments