Kotor City, Montenegró

Many moons ago a couple in my cycling club went off on an adventure fulfilling a dream to sail the world. A fantastic looking photo was shown to me, and I asked where is this place ?  Montenegró was the response. Oh, that looks interesting I said. Little did I realise that that comment became a catalyst to a real visit. Both Caroline and I enjoyed the visit very much.
A walk round old town Kotor

I do not have the inspirational photo they took as it was from their boat looking down the bay of Kotor into an old looking city. From this photo and the one above you can see the beautiful waters, mountainous back-drop and the boats. The view from the boat is  looking at this scene and back up behind me.

A walk round old town Kotor

I am standing on the city wall of the old town of Kotor which dates back a long time ago - around the 12th century. It not only dishes out the sea view, but looking the other way it also displays the city's innards, my lovely wife and then up the mountain sides which are adorned with man's constructional activities for all of his reasons over the centuries.

20170619_142214
This entire area can and did keep a couple of tourists occupied for a few days, and I am grateful for that chance viewing of my friend's photo and to stand here now.  It's special - so much so UNESCO has it on their list of areas of cultural importance. I have dozens of photos on my Flickr album, below is an excerpt that briefly shows our visit to the city.

Markets on the seaside. Anyone for some quality olives?
20170619_120630

The city wall to keep out the riff raff, or perhaps to keep them in !
20170619_120901
Cats, cats and more cats. This for Caroline was her heaven !

20170620_115839

Great dining and shopping in funky narrow streets.

20170620_131737

A bit of culture here and there......
20170620_095637

For the adventurous me, a climb up to the fortress of San Giovanni just had to be conquered.  Caroline left that exercise for said person.

A walk round old town Kotor

Kotor: great place to visit, plenty for the shopper, the historian, the gastronomic and the adventurer.
A walk round old town Kotor
The perimeter wall is worth a stroll around. It gives a good look into the city compound and of course the watery frontage.
A walk round old town Kotor

As we strolled around the wall we do got a good glimpse of the rigorous safety standards in Montenegro.

A walk round old town Kotor

Though the food was good in the city centre, we preferred to head out to the 'burbs a bit ie closer to our residence. The restaurants are on the water front, a bit cheaper and you just can't beat the setting !

20170621_200239

Montenegro, glad to have made the effort to come here. The mountains, the sea, the history, the vibe and the adventure thank you !

OI000270
Luckily our during our stay we missed the cruise line visits. Apparently they swamp the town centre.
20170620_140957

My little side trip.

  • Climbing up to San Giovanni
There's a bit of history with Kotor's fortifications, not that I am particularly interested in it. Anyway Wikipedia and many other web sites will give it a good run down in that area and there are many advisory sites on climbing it eg. Grantourismo travels.
It was hot, luckily I had plenty of water - there are vendors on the way up ready to spruik some business in that regard. It involves a bit of physical effort, luckily I'm well tuned to clambering up mountains. It involves a small fee, oh well the peoples need to make a living.  If you are really skint you could sneak in by another entry point  - which I'll leave for discovery - but it's precarious and not for the faint-hearted (I exited that way !).
OI000486
The incline is seemingly endless, though it's only in the vicinity of an hour.  Looking up can be daunting as that's what you see - up !
A walk round old town Kotor
All the way, the views are outstanding, both looking up and looking down into the city.
OI000503
My exit point was down a steep grassed over track via a discrete gate. Precarious in places and perhaps non too wise, but then that is how I'm wired !
A walk round old town Kotor

Blog Indexes:


Comments